Personal website of Simon Birrer
In the press
Here is an incomplete list that features news articles of research I am involved in:
- Stony Brook University professors helping determine size of universe, Newsday, May 2023.
- Mirror-Image Supernova Yields Surprising Estimate of Cosmic Growth, Scientific American, May 2023.
- New Study of Supernova Images Helps Scientists Measure Universe’s Expansion Rate, Stony Brook News, May 2023.
- Warped Light's Powerful Insights: Kavli Foundation news, Sept 2022.
- Between the worlds of the visible and invisible lies: Dark Matter: Stanford/SLAC press release, Sept 2021.
- Cosmic calculation may settle debate about the rate the universe grows: NewScientist, July 2021.
- Gravitational lenses could hold the key to better estimates of the expansion of the universe: Stanford/SLAC press release, Nov 2020.
- New measurement may resolve cosmological crisis: LiveScience, July 2021.
- Cosmic magnifying glasses yield independent measurement of Universe's expansion: NASA press release, Jan 2020.
- Hubble detects smallest known dark matter clumps: NASA press release, Jan 2020.
- Fast radio bursts could help solve the mystery of the universe’s expansion: ScienceNews, Apr 2021.
- Eight New Quadruple Lenses Aren't Just Gorgeous, They Reveal Dark Matter's Temperature: Forbes, Jan 2020.
- Astronomically Rare 'Double Lens' Yields Best Single System Measurement Of Cosmic Expansion: Forbes, Oct 2019.
- Something is seriously wrong with our understanding of the cosmos: NewScientist, Jul 2019.
- Seeing double could help resolve dispute about how fast the universe is expanding: ScienceDaily, Jan 2019.
- Split images of quasars allow scientists to calculate Hubble constant : UPI, Jan 2019.
- Seeing double could help resolve dispute about how fast the universe is expanding: EurekAlert (American Association for the Advancement of Science), Jan 2019.
- New estimate of Hubble constant derived using a doubly imaged quasar: Computing, Jan 2019.
- Doubly Imaged Quasar Used To Measure Universe Expansion : SpaceRef, Jan 2019.
- New Measurement Of The Expansion Rate Of The Universe Continues To Show Major Discrepancy : IFL Science, Jan 2019.
- Female authors get fewer citations in astronomy: ScienceMagazine.org, May 2017.
- Gender bias in astronomy quantified: ETH Zurich press release, May 2017.
- Treffpunkt Bern: Austausch mit Bundesrätin Doris Leuthard: Report on a meeting I co-organized with the Swiss Federal Minister of Energy about transforming the energy system (German), Nov 2014.
- Gesucht: Die Geschichte unseres Universums: Interview with the association of Swiss Scientific Olympiads, Aug 2017.